Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Testing the iPhone 3G

So I bought an iPhone 3G. It is a test to see if it is good enough to replace the Treos and BlackBerrys we use. That the iPhone was way cool was obvious from the start, but we did not consider it until the latest generation for a couple of reasons.

The first was that it didn't work well with Exchange. Until they got that working, there was no way. The second reason is that AT&T is the only choice. In our experience AT&T and its predecessor, Cingular, simply has lousy coverage compared with Verizon. Also, the slow wireless network made the cooler features of the iPhone not very cool.

I will update as I go along on this test, but I will post some initial reactions. I had a Treo with the Palm OS, which was great for phone and email but weak on anything else. And the Treos with Windows have been just terribly buggy.

The phone part of the iPhone is very good. Better than the BlackBerrys. I haven't had a chance to test the coverage very well, but it works well as a phone where you have coverage.

Email is going to take some getting used to. It was much faster to send and receive emails on my Treo. Part of that is that I have not yet mastered the keyboard, but a good bit of it was design. On the Treo, I can be in the email part with two clicks. It is a minimum of three and often more, depending on what you were last doing, on the iPhone. With the Treo, I could do a lot with one hand, which made clearing out the inbox easy when I had a little downtime. Can't do that with the iPhone. It needs some keyboard shortcuts or something. And, it also needs the ability to delete multiple messages at a time.

Setting the iPhone up to work with our Exchange server was a breeze. Much simpler than configuring a new Treo with Good or a BlackBerry. And everything syncs well, although it doesn't sync all messages.

Battery life has been good. It was horrible when I first got it, but after a few cycles, it is fine without using a lot of the battery saving tips.

So far, I like it and will probably keep it, but I am not entirely convinced. Not enough to roll it out for everyone else yet. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: